Emerging technologies are expanding and overflowing into our daily lives. Today, most people do not distinguish between online display, video, mobile, internet radio, and digital-out-of-home channels. Instead, these emerging channels are automatically integrated into everyday routines, often simultaneously, to create an addictive, digital way of life. Mobile, video, and internet radio channels are just a few of the emerging technologies that are exploding in adoption and advertising growth.
- Mobile: It’s not just a talking device. Today, 50.4% of U.S. consumers use smartphones, and this number continues to grow. The largest amount of daily time spent using a mobile phone is for talking, playing games, social networking, capturing photos, browsing the internet and accessing location-based services, according to eMarketer. In less than two years, more people in the U.S. will access the internet over their phone than at their desktops.
- While mobile is still a relatively new medium for advertisers, revenue is rapidly increasing with a triple digit growth rate of 149% year-over-year. It can be an incredibly effective brand awareness and shopping tool, particularly when combined with other channels. Advertisers can leverage location-based targeting and increase accessibility at the point of purchase.
- Video: Video equals viral opportunities. Online video is quickly growing in popularity. It is a convenient and entertaining way to consume and share content. According to eMarketer, 70.8% of internet users view video content online (a compound annual growth rate of 5.6% from 2010-2016). Additionally, more video viewers are migrating from TV. In fact, 77.3M are reported to watch TV programs online (up 18.3% from last year), while 59.8M watch feature length films (up 27.4%).
- Online video captures an engaged, proactive audience, which offers the perfect environment for advertisers to connect with consumers. Online video revenue has grown 29% year-over-year. The key is to deliver emotional and attention-grabbing experiences that exude viral potential and leave a lasting impression on viewers.
- Internet Radio: Music to every digital user’s ears. The internet radio population is increasing, now representing 42% of U.S. broadband households (up 8% from last year). Additionally, radio listeners tune in for one to three hours per day on average. Studies also show that internet radio has listeners throughout the day, whereas terrestrial radio peaks in the morning.
- Advertisers are finding new opportunities to connect with proactive listeners through highly targeted vocal and even visual campaigns. Internet radio offers advertisers the ability to generate awareness among attentive and heavy listeners throughout the day.
These emerging channels are all on the rise, evolving into an all-encompassing digital experience for engaged and hungry consumers.