KB#00970-BASIS License Manager (BLM) Vendor daemon died with status 28
BASIS License Manager (BLM) Vendor daemon died with status 28
This error occurs on WINNT 4.0 and WIN2000 where the BLM vendor daemon (basis.exe) attempts to start several times and will then timeout with a status 28 error.
The following error will be seen in the /BASIS License Manager/blmgr.txt log file.
lmgrd tcp-port 27000
10:02:55 (lmgrd) Starting vendor daemons ...
10:02:55 (lmgrd) Started basis (internet tcp_port 0 pid 176)
10:03:10 (lmgrd) Vendor daemon died with status 28
10:03:10 (lmgrd) Since this is an unknown status, lmgrd will
10:03:10 (lmgrd) attempt to re-start the vendor daemon.
10:03:10 (lmgrd) REStarted basis (internet tcp_port 0 pid 20)
10:03:25 (lmgrd) Vendor daemon died with status 28
10:03:25 (lmgrd) Since this is an unknown status, lmgrd will
10:03:25 (lmgrd) attempt to re-start the vendor daemon.
1. As a test, in Control Panel | Services, try and start the BLM as a local administrator account and not as a domain admin. You can select what account to start the BLM service from the properties of the service. To get to the properties of the service, simply double click on the service name.
2. Delete any and all files located in the c:\flexlm directory
3. Verify you are running the most current BLM. The most current BLM (7.0) is shipped with BASIS VPRO5 Product REV 3.xx and with BBj products. You can verify what version of BLM you are running by looking in the log files. The log files are located in the \basis license manager\ or the \bbj\blm\ directory and is called blmgr.txt.
Downalod the latest BLM at this site:
Fill out the fields be sure to select Revision 3, choose Update existing software, then the next sentence reads:
To download only the BASIS License Manager (BLM) for this product, Click here. For the full product download, please continue. Click where stated and download the BLM to your hard drive to install on the NT system.
Prior to installing the new version, copy your existing license files that are located in the BASIS License Manager directory to another location. Stop the BLM service, uninstall the BLM from ADD/REMOVE programs in Control Panel, then reboot. It is suggested to use a local ADMIN account on the server when installing the new version. Run the install and follow the prompts. Copy you license file back into the BASIS License Manager directory. Stop and Start the BLM service in Control panel.
4. Verify permissions on \basis\basis license manager\ and c:\flexlm dir are full for system and full for the local administrator accounts.
5. Be sure you have the latest service packs for the NT system running the BLM; as this error has been seen on WINNT 4.0 with service pack 4. Installing service pack 6 solved the issue on one site.
After taking any of the above steps be sure to stop and start the BLM in Services, or reboot the system.
Last Modified: 02/01/2002 Product: License Manager Operating System: Windows NT Windows 2000
BASIS structures five components of their technology into the BBx Generations.